Pages



Lockwood & Co. The Screaming Staircase Review/Thoughts

OMG. OMG. OMg. Omg. omg. I just finished Lockwood & Co. The Screaming Staircase last night and can I just say that I'm super impressed! This book has been out for along time now and subsequently has been on my TBR pile for awhile. Finally I've started reading it and it was so hard to put down that I read it in two days. I could have read it quicker but I was distracted by something that could been extremely annoying when it comes to reading called school and homework. Well so the point is that I have finally read the book and it's amazing. I liked it so much! I was sent this book a while back from someone from the State Library and I appreciated it so much. Not buying this book myself has not in any way shape or form changed my opinion. With that out of the way lets go into this!

Details 

Publishing date: August 29th 2013
Page Count: 440 pages (That's in my copy and doesn't include the ads and glossary at the back)
Author: Jonathan Stroud
Format: Paperback

Quick Summary:

This book is set in future England and people in future England live in fear of ghost because of 'the problem'. At night ghost come out and often terrify people. To combat these ghosts independent agencies have sprung up. One of this agonies is Lockwood and Co., which is run by the mysterious Anthony Lockwood and his donut loving friend George. When Lucy runs away from her home to go to London she joins Lockwood and Co. and together they use their talents to fight ghosts.

No spoilers section:

Okay I'm assuming if you're reading the no spoilers section you haven't read the book before and want to know some things about it before you read it. So after reading my quick summary, I hope you get the gist of what the book is about. This book is a great blend of mystery and creepiness. I was genuinely so creeped out reading this that I put off reading it at night and waited until the next morning to read it. I recommend reading it in a well lit area because shadows will creep you out while reading it.

The characters are pretty awesome. There is Lucy Carlyle who ran away from home to come to London. She's so feisty and cool. Then there is Anthony Lockwood and George. They have such an adorable and  believable friendship. While reading the first couple chapters I was so creeped out and I was the only one awake in my house. Since I was the only one awake it was eerily quiet and I was so scared that I almost gave up reading it. I'm so glad that I didn't though because I loved this story so much and I really recipe that people who are into mystery, creepiness and awesome characters read this book :)



SPOILERS READ WITH CAUTION!

Can I just start this off my saying that Lucy is the one of my favourite fictional characters. She's so kickass and cool! She made me like the book so much because I find myself liking books more if they have really cool protagonist. She's also so brave, but also sensible. That scene where she was nervous about going into one of the most haunted houses in England. I feel like any other firece female protagonist would just been like, "I know that this is creepy, but lets do this! If there are any ghost here they better be worried, because I will CRUSH them!" Okay... Maybe not like that, but Lucy was brave but not overly done. I really love her so much. I think she'll be my favourite fictional character for this year. On the cover of my copy Lockwood was on the cover and after finishing the book I was confused as to why he was on the cover. I understand that it is his agency and it is a very successful agency that is only run by teens and have adults, but come on! Lucy is the real star in this story and I adore her so much. I'm pretty sure that in some editions there is both of them, but I wish that the both of them were on all the editions, or better yet, just Lucy.

So far I've only really talked about Lucy and only a little bit about Anthony Lockwood so for the sake of fairness I'm going to talk about him now. The readers don't really find out much about Lockwood apart from what they can deduce from his actions around Lucy and his mysteriousness about his parents. The reader find out that the house used to belong to his parents, but they're not around anymore. We don't know if they died or left, but the thing is you can tell is that he misses them. In the part when Barnes insults the decorations inside the house Lucy notes how he says that it was his mother's. I can't wait to read the next book and find out if anything is revealed about his parents. The good thing about reading a book that has been out for a while is that you don't have to what for the squeal. I'll have to go out tomorrow and read the squeal. I'm so excited! Another thing about Lockwood is that he is so smart. I was so curious went he sent that letter and when I found out it was because he figured out what was going on, I was filled with a sense of satisfaction and happiness. Go Lockwood!

Now I'll talk about George. I honestly can't remember his last name. Not to say that he was not important, but he wasn't super important enough that I remembered his last name. I liked George though even though his manners sort of sucked. George was the really responsible one in the group who was the one responsible for all the paperwork and the research. I feel like if I was a book character I would be George. He's responsible, sensible, likes donuts and has bad manners. Well my manners aren't that bad, but still. I feel that our love for donuts meant that we had a connection, haha. George's manners could be frustrating at times and I didn't really understand why Lucy and him didn't get along. They kept on not getting along with each other. The only person George seemed to get along with was Lockwood.

I really liked the story line, but found it predictable. I don't know if it's only, because I have read so many books and can now easily predicate how they end. I liked how Lucy and Annie Ward connected and how Lucy drove the story. This was a really great book that I can't recommend it enough. It was such a great blend of mystery, creepiness and great characters. The book is so well written and is a great read. The plot was well thought out and I was really content at how it ended. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment