Pages



We Were Liars by E. Lockhart Thoughts

Recently I posted my TBR list and on that list was We Were Liars by E. Lockhart and I finally read! It was a great read. I borrowed it from the library and finished it on the same day. It was such a nice sunny day so my sister, cousin and I went to the park to read in the sun. Heres a picture :)



Details

Publishing date: First published in the United States in Delacorte Press
Page Count: 225 pages (not including the front pages with the maps and the back pages)
Author: E. Lochart
Format: Paperback

Quick Summary:

Candace Sinclair is from the distinguished Sinclair family, who spend the summer on their own private island. During one of the summers their was an accident but Candace can't remember what happened during that summer. After her accident she suffers from migraines and selective amnesia which the doctors believe is from the trauma. The summer after the accident she went on a holiday to Europe and finally this summer she goes back and she wants to find out what happened but it seems like everyone is keeping secrets.


No spoilers section:

We Were Liars was a book that I heard such good things about. I had heard so many things about it and I was so excited to read it. It is quite a short read, but it's very well written and is thought provoking. If you want a light happy read, maybe this book isn't for you. This book is sort of really sad, like very sad. It deals with topics on family and secrets. This book is written in a way that makes you guess and wonder what is going on, but at a very slow and different pace. It's written in a way that makes it thought provoking and quick to read. Although it is a quick read, it will leave you thinking about it for a long time. Sorry that this no spoilers section is so short, I just don't know what to say about this book without spoiling it. Go and read it if you haven't then come back!



SPOILERS READ WITH CAUTION!!! (Please only read it if you have finished the book)

I sort of wish that I didn't have such high expectations for this book so that I could have been more surprised. I knew that there was something very big or different was going to happen, so I was guessing after every corner. I wasn't really sure what to guess. I thought something along the lines of a prank the liars did to each other went wrong or I thought that the liars were throwing each other into the water. My last guest before I found out the truth was that the liars had a fight then Candace went into the water for a swim and in her rage she swam into the rocks.

Can I also just mention the blurb at the back and how it says, "If anyone asks you how it ends. Just lie". That was so funny and cool sentence in the blurb, especially since the book is called We Were Liars. I don't know why I just thought that it was super smart and funny. haha :)

haha :P



Candace is such a intersecting protagonist, but admittedly an unreliable one. She often suffers from migraines and is often high on the medication that she uses to help her combat the pain. She can also be dramatic. When I first started reading the book and in one of the first chapters how Candace says how her heart rolled out of her chest when I dad left. After getting other my shock I realised that it was a metaphor, but when I read it I was so shocked, because she didn't say 'I felt ...', but instead she said something like, "My heart rolled out of my chest." I was visualising that a heart actually rolling out of a girls chest... I when I read I like to visualise everything from the characters to what type of flowers are in the back ground and that part of the book almost made my heart fall out.

Can I talk about the ghost or hallucinations? I'm pretty certain that Mirren, Johnny and Gat were hallucinations, because most of the time Candace was high on the medication that helps her with pain. Although the other Liars sometimes told her things she didn't know yet, I believe that it was her brain trying to let her know slowly what she had forgotten. Well technically it she didn't forget it but more like selective amnesia. What makes my confused is how the other Liars could trash the place or how she could make out with Gat. Was she kissing thin air? After finishing the book and thinking about it I think Candace trashed the place by herself and made it up in her brain. If anyone has read this book please tell me if you if believe that Mirren, Johnny and Gat were ghost or hallucinations.

Her family has a perfect facade, because they were the perfect Sinclair family. They own their own private island! I thought the family dynamic was cool in the way how they're all damaged but won't admit it to each other. It was so important for Candace's character development when after she found out about the fire to see why they were finally talking to each other and acting like a family. I love how the writer wrote that part and showed Candace realising that burning down the symbol didn't bring the family together. Instead the family came together, because they were all broken because of the tragic incident. Her family also perplexed me at the same time. They all received all the best possible education that money could buy, but in the end her mother and aunties were still relying on their fathers money.

Reading this book made me think a lot, because I'm not a very questioning person, but with this book you need to question things. An example of that is with that scene with Cadence's grandfather asking his grandchildren if he leaves his money to Harvard what should they name the building. I honestly did not question that or try to find a deeper meaning to it. I didn't even consider that it was possible for it to be threat to his daughters, until Candace explained how about how leaving his money to Harvard, meant that once he dies no money will be given to his daughters.


I'm sorry that this post is all other the place. This book both perplexed me and surprised me so much that I can't even articulate good things to say about it. This is a thoughts post not a review because it's so unorganised and was just what I liked and thought about the book. I hope you learnt something reading this (Although I can't imagine what :P ) or at least liked it. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment